|Ashley and Cody playing in the snow. Ashley is from Pathway to Hope.|
Brr... Are You Staying Warm?
Here are five tips to keep your dogs happy and healthy during these winter months.
(Advice taken from ASPCA)
- Does your dog like to romp around in the snow? Make sure he's getting extra protein to help keep him, and his fur, in tip-top shape.
- Never leave your dog (or cat) alone in the car during winter. A car can trap in the cold and freeze an animal to death.
- Make sure your dog (or cat) has a warm place to sleep off the floor and away from drafty areas. Pet beds, blankets, and cushions are a great, and comfy, way to keep your dog healthy.
- Wipe off your dog's legs and stomach when coming in from the snow. Dogs can lick harmful chemical (anti-freeze), and salt, off their paws. Paw pads are also sensitive to extreme cold, and may start to bleed.
- You may want to keep your outdoor cats inside during the winter months - they can freeze to death, or, many slip under car hoods for warmth and are injured or killed when an unsuspecting person starts up their car. Know there are outdoor cats in your area? Consider banging on the hood of your car to chase out any hiding cats.
That's all for now. Stay happy, healthy and warm during these snowy days. Heading out on vacation? Consider boarding your dog at Hotel for Dogs! Call now!